Did You Know?

Once you received traffic violation ticket...

The police officer will issue one copy of the traffic violation ticket to the driver and another copy will be sent to court. The court will notify the DMV once they receive the ticket, and henceforth, your traffic violation point will appear on the DMV record. The court will check your driving history record to see if you have gone to traffic school within last 18 months, the period in which you are allowed to attend traffic school only once. If you have not attended traffic school within that time period, the court will assess your bail amount and your traffic school fee, and you may then proceed to enroll in traffic school. Once you successfully finish the course, the course completion will be sent to court, and the court will be notified to the DMV to be marked your traffic point.

Do not touch phone while driving!

You can get pulled over and issued a traffic violation ticket just for holding your cellular phone while you are driving, whether or not you were actually using the phone.

Drivers under the age of eighteen may not speak on the phone at all while driving, even if they employ hands-free headsets.

How To Handle traffic Citation (Ticket)

This post was written by Leon on September 16, 2010

If you were cited for a traffic violation, the court will mail you a reminder notice at the address listed on your ticket. Failure to receive the reminder notice does not excuse your obligation to pay it on or before your appearance date. If you do not receive your reminder notice at least two weeks before your promise to appear or appearance date and do not understand your options, you may come in person to the courthouse, inquire by mail prior to your appearance date, or speak with a clerk. Do not disregard your ticket if you do not receive your reminder notice in the mail. You must appear at the courthouse or settle your case by mail, over the phone or online by the appearance date, whether or not you receive the reminder notice. Read the back of your ticket for additional information. Failure to appear on or before the appearance date may result in an additional fee, a hold placed on your driver’s license and referral to collections.

Various options for handling different types of violations are listed below, however, follow the instructions given either from the court itself or on your violation information notice. (Because each county may have slightly different processing procedures or methods.)

1. Pay and Close Your Ticket
2. Request a Payment Plan
3. Request Traffic School
4. Reserve a Court Date
5. Request an Extension
6. Submit a Proof of Corrections

1. Pay and Close Your Ticket
If your ticket was issued by a law enforcement agency] in a county other than Los Angeles County, you may still be able to pay it online.

In person: Payments may be made in person at your Court.
By mail: Checks and money orders only. DO NOT MAIL CASH. Checks and money orders should be made payable to "Clerk of the Court". To ensure your payment is credited to the correct case, include the case or citation number. All checks must be preprinted with the account holder's name.
Online (internet) payment: If you choose to pay the bail on your citation by online, you can do so by accessing the County Superior Court website.

2. Request a Payment Plan
Vehicle Code Section 40510.5 allows a person to enter into a payment plan with the clerk without going before a judge. To do this, you will be required to sign an agreement to pay and forfeit bail according to an installment schedule. Please ensure that you read all of the information provided on the agreement.

3. Request Traffic School
You may qualify if:

• You have not attended traffic school for a ticket issued within 18 months of the date of this ticket.
• Your speed was not 25 mph or more over the posted speed limit.
• The offense is a moving (driving) violation.
• You were not driving a commercial vehicle or carrying hazardous material; and You have a valid driver's license.
• You have a valid driver's license.
To sign up, pay the bail amount listed on your notice and an additional non-refundable traffic school processing fee.

4. Reserve a Court Date
If you would like to appear in front of a judicial officer, you must reserve a date. You will appear before a judicial officer. The officer who wrote your citation will be required to appear. The prosecutor may subpoena witnesses to appear and testify against you. As the defendant you have the right to subpoena witnesses to support your case. You also have the right to have a lawyer represent you in court.
You can pay your ticket:

What is a trial by written declaration? You can request a trial by written declaration if you are unable to appear in court. You will write a statement explaining:

• The facts of the case
• Why the court should rule in your favor

The law enforcement officer who wrote your ticket will also write a statement giving his or her version of the facts of the case. A trial by written declaration allows you to contest your ticket without coming to court. Your case is not heard in open court. The statements and any evidence are reviewed by a judicial officer.

What happens if I am found not guilty?
If the judicial officer finds you not guilty your bail deposit will be returned to you by mail.

What happens if I am found guilty?
If the judicial officer finds you guilty, your sentence will usually be a fine not exceeding the amount of bail you have deposited and a conviction is placed on your driving record. In some cases, the judicial officer will find a defendant guilty but suspend or reduce the fine. This means that a portion your bail money will be returned, but your driving record will still show a conviction.

5. Request an Extension
You can request an extension on your appearance date (the date at the bottom of your ticket or Violation Information Notice), payment of bail (the amount on your courtesy Violation Information Notice) or Traffic School completion date. If you are not delinquent, then you do not have to see the judge to make this request. This can be done online, on the phone, or in person at any of the court locations.

6. Submit a Proof of Corrections
You may have gotten a fix-it ticket or correctible violations added to your ticket. Proof of correction will be required before you can pay the ticket. Your proof must be submitted by mail or in person. You may not handle these tickets online or by phone.

Your charges may be dismissed if you present proof of correction to the court by the due date and pay the required fee per violation. Your proof of correction certification must be done by an authorized agency(Police Station, California Highway Patrol or County Sheriff Office etc.), which may also require that you pay a sign-off fee. The type of violation determines the appropriate agency:

Violation Type May be certified as corrected by:
Violations of:
• Driver's license
• Registration violations
The DMV or by any clerk or deputy clerk of a Superior Court.
• Proof of Insurance (must have been valid on ticket violation date)
Deputy clerk of Superior Court
Muffler violations
Smog device
Any station that is licensed to make such inspections and certifications

Previous Post: No Previous Post